Favourite non-horror 2022 releases:
5. Lost City dir. by Adam Nee, Aaron Nee
4. Honk for Jesus. Save Your Soul. dir. by Adamma Ebo
3. RRR (Rise Roar Revolt) dir. by S.S. Rajamouli
2. Everything Everywhere All at Once dir. by the Daniels
1. Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery dir. by Rian Johnson
Honourable mention: Rosaline dir. by Karen Maine. A sucker for a historically incorrect rom com. Bullet Train dir. by David Leitch because I have no taste in action films.
Favourite new-to-me horror (non-2022 releases)
5. The Night House (2020) dir. by David Bruckner
4. The Snake Girl and the Silver-Haired Witch (1968) dir. by Noriaki Yuasa
3. The Queen of Black Magic (1981) dir. by Lilik Sudjio
2. Messiah of Evil (1973) dir. by Willard Huyck, Gloria Katz
1. Pulse (2001) dir. by Kiyoshi Kurosawa
Favourite new-to-me movies (non-2022 releases)
5. Come Back to the Five and Dime, Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Dean (1982) dir. by Robert Altman
4. In the Mood for Love (2000) dir. by Wong Kar-wai
3. Mannequin (1987) dir. by Michael Gottlieb
2. Perfect Blue (1997) dir. by Satoshi Kon
(Arguably, this one is horror, but I’m being sneaky here.)
1. Mother (2009) dir. by Bong Joon-ho
Favourite show: Minx (HBO – USA/Paramount – UK)
Things I regret most missing out on: The Woman King, watching Nope in a theatre where half the crowd wasn’t FaceTiming, The Menu, seeing Whatever Happened to Baby Jane on the big screen because the Prince Charles Cinema got an Italian print by accident.
Best theatre experience: Seeing Perfect Blue at the PCC. The crowd was stunned and in utter silence the entire time only to erupt as the credits rolled. Good kids, all of them.
Favourite books: The Babysitter Lives by Stephen Graham Jones and The Hollow Places by T. Kingfisher